Thursday, April 5, 2012

Delicate balances

I once saw a man dropkick a cat
because he could, a dark sharp creature that
only hoped for heat and light and food
like me. I did not look up. I merely sat

and stared into the meaty hollow of the mood.
He has demons too, said the heart pale and good.
How dare he! said the tattered black stone on the left.
Balancing my fears on the end of my nose, I put up my hood.

I am mighty compared to the girl I was; now I have a certain heft
and lack the fear of being heard, a being full of laugh and breath.
But something dark holds its heavy hand above my head
and the world has turned like a worm. Hurry. Talk quickly. Be deft.

So, now I’m a mountain instead of the girl sent early to bed,
but that girl is still here: She remembers imagining being dead
and the bomb shelter drills and the way the teacher said,
Hush! I am also the cat who pushes headfirst into a crevice instead.

Visit the dverse pub for more poetry.

9 comments:

Semaphore said...

Wow, this just blew me away. First of all, you did here what every practitioner of classical forms wants to do - you made the rubaiyat quatrain disappear, submerged the structure into the needs of the poem. Second, and most important, you wrote an incredible poem, transcending the structure, filled with images that are unforgettable - abused cats, bomb shelters - and that bring your theme to life.

Mary Dawn said...

all i can say is, "wow"

you're amazing

Quotes,Photos and a little Poetry said...

Oh, that's sad. I feel sorry for this MC. good job

Claudia said...

sometimes it's a delicate balance indeed...the looking back on what we were..how character and strength developed over time but still..deep down there's this fragile soul...really enjoyed..and i just loved...Balancing my fears on the end of my nose...what a great image angelique..

Brian Miller said...

this really gained momentum as it went along for me...love the turn to personal after the incident with the cat and focusing on where you were and where you are now...some really nice lines...claudia pointed our one of my favs...well crafted ma'am

Wolfsrosebud said...

loved the fantasy aspect of this piece... how you bring to life to lifeless things... sad how evil can happen and no one comes to help

Sweet Pea said...

This poem rattled me. For the drop kicked cat and the feelings of fear and powerlessness. I can related to both the cat the child who had to just sit in fear at times with not control over her fate.

I'm glad we now have voices that can be raised and that you express so much with your magical phrasing.

John (@bookdreamer) said...

Clever in how form is lost in the poem

Beachanny said...

Deep, deft, personal and powerful. The form fitted to the need of the text enhances the emotion, the growth, the transformation of the main character. This really does deserve a WOW! Great work.