Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Wolf of the World



















A woman on the other side
of the world sleeps when I wake,
wakes alone without map or net
and watches each way while I sleep.
A candle burns on both ends.

A harsh note on the other side
of the dark vibrates up my last nerve
and sets me humming in my spine.
Speak now. You will not be allowed
to forever hold your peace.

I must stand with the woman
who stands with me, because
women can do these things: pull
each other up by the boot buckles,
carve each other clean sin by sin.

I send notes to the other side
of the void to say: yes,
I have not only heard of the wolf
I have seen him from the corner
of my eye, that sly worn devil

Nearly toothless in the light of cold day
but large and patient in the dim.

angelique

Retron 2008. Dakota, a grey wolf at the UK Wolf Conservation Trust, howling on top of a snowy hill.

11 comments:

Claudia said...

hey welcome at dVerse angelique... and wow..beautiful poem..love the atmosphere here...a bit dreamy, a bit chilly...
I must stand with the woman
who stands with me, because
women can do these things... that's just great..

the pub will open at 3pm EST, so you can link your poem in

hedgewitch said...

Complex and knifestraight, very clean and explicit, minimal fussy imagery, but what's there telling and clear. I'm sure you know how good this is without me saying so, but I still feel I need to let you know . Fine writing, and very good indeed to see you at dVerse.

Fireblossom said...

There's something primal and primitive here that I like. Keep singin'.

Leslie Hanna said...

Wow, nice! (Am I supposed to say that?) :)

Buddah Moskowitz said...

This is a fun read with a great unexpected perspective. Thanks, mosk

Pat Hatt said...

Wow great real raw nature like verse, never know what the shadows hold.

Mama Zen said...

Wow, this is beautiful! That last full stanza just grabs you by the throat. Powerful write.

Laurie Kolp said...

This has a mysterious feel to it... great ending (last 2 stanzas).

Brian Miller said...

great to have you at dVerse...welcome...very nicely told....such distance between the women yet still the need to stand with...that to me speaks volumes...

Shashi S said...

Some times we only hear the wolf.. and then we die..I liked the imagery of this post.. powerful.

Shashi

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2012/01/whispers-haiku-on-how-i-write-poetry.html
At twitter @VerseEveryDay

angelique said...

Thank you all for your kind comments. I really enjoyed my first visit to the pub.

angelique